Saturday, March 3, 2012

Some Things Human

     This is somewhat of a copycat of a post from my friend Rachel's blog from this week.  Rachel writes a really great food blog, and since mine is in its infancy, I hope she finds it flattering, even if I'm not as creatively adept just yet. 

     There is a large part of me (presumably the native Yooper part) that gets pleasure from being in the cold outside.  I realize these are bold statements of potential idiocy, but what is an idiot without her boldness?

     I find snow less of a nuisance and more of a pleasantry.  After a winter whitefall, so many take to their viral soap boxes to bellyache, but I'm pretty content to slap on my Kromer and head out to our 105x19-pace driveway (of course I counted), shovel-over-shoulder.  Sure, it takes a long time.  Sure, it's hard work.  But there's something gratifying in that scrape-heave rhythm, something beautiful about work you can see progress in, something human about seeing your breath exhausted in the air, something hilarious about blowing snot-rockets at will. 

     I didn't head out S-O-S this afternoon, though.  I went camera-strapped, and this is what I brought you:



Meet our one of our neighbors.






 

Person's eye view.





This is a bonus shot from a skiing/winter camping trip 
we did two weeks ago near the shores of Gitche Gumee:




And this is our impossibly adorable MSU football gnome who guards the back deck.
 
 




Did I mention that my squeeze is replacing our downstairs toilet while I write these ethereal observations on the glories of the snowy interval?    



 

What a guy.

There are some things so completely opposite, they can only be human.

3 comments:

  1. Very flattering Nicole, thanks for the shout out! Your pictures make me miss winter :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the person's eye view-- great writing; keep it up sista!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at snot-rockets.

    ReplyDelete