Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tuscan Bean & Kale Soup


     This was an interesting enterprise.  After I wrote about the beautiful weather we were having, April came to its senses and grew cold and rainy.  This is fine with me, since I'd rather not rush the spring.  Sure, I love warm weather, but I also appreciate seasonal changes.  So there's no snow, but there's no consistent temperature either.  This makes for some extra time for hearty food endeavors like soups, casseroles, and whatever else is blasphemous on the summer palate.  I found this recipe in Cooking Light: Tuscan Bean SoupThe original recipe calls for escarole, but I find that any one dark, leafy green is an ample substitute for any other.

Prep pile.


Stirring in the thyme & parmesan rind.

Delights.

Kale is becoming a staple around here--delicious in soups, stir-fries, and on their own as chips.

As it turns out, the parmesan rind should either be harder or older.  Mine melted, but the soup was still insanely tasty: that perfect combination of flavorful, not-too-creamy, & not-too-salty.

Something sacred: breaking bread.

Dinner is served.


Buon appetito!

1 comment:

  1. Karl and I started eating Kale chips as a stack at night--delish

    ReplyDelete